Annual Call for Entries
Deadline for entries: 8:00 p.m. on March 1, 2013.
Artists may submit materials online. See details below.
Wind Challenge Prospectus
The Fleisher Art Memorial announces the call for entries for the 36th season of the Wind Challenge Exhibition Series. This juried, regional competition, has gained a national reputation for excellence since it began in 1978. Each season, Fleisher exhibits the work of selected artists in three three-person exhibitions.
- Nine artists will be chosen
- Three five-week, three-person exhibitions in Fleisher's galleries
- $750 honorarium to each selected artist
- Receive support from the Fleisher Exhibitions Staff to create a public event or activity in conjunction with the exhibition
- Included in Fleisher’s publications, electronic & print announcements, and an artists’ profile on Fleisher’s online Wind Challenge database
Jurying & Selection Process
- Round One: An artist-juror and a curator review images in their appropriate category. In this initial review, approximately 10% of all candidates are selected to advance to the second round. Selected candidates will be notified, by e-mail, by the first week of April 2013.
- Round Two: Second-round candidates are required to submit an original work, which is reviewed along with the original image submissions by the full artist-juror panel. Announcement of final selections will take place immediately following the second-round jury.
Painting & Works on Paper:
- Odili Donald Odita, Works on Paper and Installation Artist
- Jennifer McTague, Co-Founder of Second State Press
Photography & Time-Based Jurors:
- Keiko Miyamori, Sculptor, Painter, Video and Installation Artist
- Rafael Damast, Curator at Taller Puertorriqueño
Sculpture, Installation & Crafts Jurors:
- Kukuli Velarde, Sculptor, Painter and Installation Artist
- Mallory Wetherell, Exhibitions Coordinator at The Clay Studio
- Artists must live within a 50-mile radius of Philadelphia.
- Artists may not be showing the same body of work in a local gallery or alternative space during the 2013-2014 exhibition season (September 2013 through July 2014).
- Students enrolled in full-time, degree or certificate-granting programs in the visual arts during the 2013-2014 academic year are not eligible to apply.
- Previous Wind Challenge artists are not eligible to apply.
- Painting & Works on Paper
- Photography & Time-based Media
- Sculpture/Installation & Crafts
Starting in January 2013, eligible artists may download the 2014 Challenge Prospectus (PDF) or pick up a copy at 719 Catharine Street during business hours.
Applicants are required to pay a $40 application fee. Applications will not be reviewed until the artist pays the $40 submission fee.
Follow the Log In instructions here to create a SlideRoom account and submit materials online.
Inquiries may be directed to José Ortiz-Pagán, Exhibitions Coordinator (215-922-3456 x333), email@example.com.