Annual Call for Entries
Deadline for entries EXTENDED: 11:59 p.m. on March 8, 2014.
Artists may submit materials online. See details below.
Wind Challenge Prospectus
The Fleisher Art Memorial announces the call for entries for the 37th season of the Wind Challenge Exhibition Series. This juried, regional competition, has gained a national reputation for excellence since it began in 1978. Each season, Fleisher exhibits the work of selected artists in three three-person exhibitions.
- Nine artists will be chosen
- Three five-week, three-person exhibitions in Fleisher's galleries
- $750 honorarium to each selected artist
- Receive support from the Fleisher Exhibitions Staff to create a public event or activity in conjunction with the exhibition
- Included in Fleisher’s publications, electronic & print announcements, and an artists’ profile on Fleisher’s online Wind Challenge database
Jurying & Selection Process
- Round One: An artist-juror and a curator review images in their appropriate category. In this initial review, approximately 10% of all candidates are selected to advance to the second round. Selected candidates will be notified, by e-mail, by the first week of April 2014.
- Round Two: Second-round candidates are required to submit an original work, which is reviewed along with the original image submissions by the full artist-juror panel. Announcement of final selections will take place immediately following the second-round jury.
Painting & Works on Paper
- Henry Bermúdez, Painter, Paper and Installation Artist
- Elizabeth Spungen, Executive Director, The Print Center
Photography & Time-Based Jurors
- Jennifer Levonian, Painter and Animation Artist
- Kaytie Johnson, Curator, The Galleries at Moore
Sculpture, Installation & Crafts Jurors
- Maixa Hixson, Curator, Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts
- Artists must live within a 50-mile radius of Philadelphia.
- Artists may not be showing the same body of work in a local gallery or alternative space during the 2014-2015 exhibition season (September 2014 through July 2015).
- Students enrolled in full-time, degree or certificate-granting programs in the visual arts during the 2014-2015 academic year are not eligible to apply.
- Previous Wind Challenge artists are not eligible to apply.
- Painting & Works on Paper
- Photography & Time-based Media
- Sculpture/Installation & Crafts
How to Apply
Starting in January 2014, eligible artists may download the 2015 Challenge Prospectus (PDF) or pick up a copy at 719 Catharine Street during business hours.
Applicants are required to pay a $40 application fee. Applications will not be reviewed until the artist pays the $40 submission fee.
Follow the Log In instructions here to create a SlideRoom account and submit materials online.
Inquiries may be directed to José Ortiz-Pagán, Exhibitions Coordinator (215-922-3456 x333), firstname.lastname@example.org.