Mosaic Ornaments (five-session immersive workshop)
Create your very own mosaic gazing ball or ornament for the holidays. Starting with a styrofoam sphere, you will learn the technique of designing in the round and proper construction techniques for indoor or outdoor use. The first part of class will be demonstrations and discussion followed by work time when questions can be addressed and everyone can get to know each other. All experience levels are welcome.
This is an online workshop hosted through Zoom. We recommend that you download the free Zoom application on your computer, phone, or tablet in advance of the first class. Registered students will receive a confirmation email containing a link to join the course via Zoom. The same link will be used each day.
Tuition Assistance is Available
To make our classes and workshops accessible to everyone, Fleisher offers tuition assistance every term so that everyone can join our creative community. We have recently streamlined the application process, making it even quicker and easier. Tuition assistance applications can be completed once registration is open by clicking here. The deadline to apply is Monday, November 16.
Styrofoam Ball: Michaels – order any size less than 7”. The smaller the size, the more likely you’ll finish within the week. Shipping is approx $7 – might be available in stores.
Outdoor: Get in touch with instructor
Note: black or charcoal grout makes most mosaics quite vibrant, but if using mostly dark tiles then choose a medium shade (pearl gray or silver).
Lowes (call first to check stock)
Floor & Decor (call first to check stock)
Note: 3/8” (8mm) tiles will not need to be cut to be adhered. Anything larger may, depending on the size of the ball.
Outdoor (If you want to put your ball outside, the freeze/thaw cycle must be taken into account):
• All glass is fine.
• Check with the instructor before purchasing anything else, unless the website clearly states that the product is good for exterior use.
• Some potential issues:
1. Mirror will blacken over time.
2. Ceramics depend on firing temperature.
3. Stone must be sealed.
Amount – Tiles are mostly sold by weight. The amount needed depends on ball size, tile thickness, and size of space between tiles. Here are my best estimates, taking into account waste:
• 3.8” ball: get 0.75 – 1.00 lb total
• 4.7” ball: 1.25 – 1.5 lbs
• 5.6” ball: 1.75 – 2lbs
• 6.7” ball: 2.5 – 3.0 lbs
Glass Tile menu:
– NO Vitreous Glass or Tumbled Glass
– YES almost anything
– NO glass gems (too big), beach glass, embellishments, beads and cabs, natural stones and minerals, mother of pearl and shells
– Indoor project: everything else is okay
– Outdoor project: check with instructor before ordering
– NO Vitreous Glass
– Beads, baubles, and ceramic: check with instructor unless clearly labeled
Pencil and paper (for sketching and notes)
Lid or something else that’s disposable to put a small amount of glue on
A protected surface to work on and a protected floor
Ornament – small paper clip