• 1871: Samuel Stuart Fleisher is born to German Jewish immigrants Benjamin and Cecilia Fleisher, and was third of five children. His family owned the Fleisher Yarn Company, a major manufacturer of hand-knitting yarns and worsted fabric

  • 1885-86: Construction of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Evangelists

  • 1898: Samuel Fleisher opens the Graphic Sketch Club in the Jewish Union building at 422 Bainbridge Street

  • 1916: Due to the success of the Club, the program acquires new space in the form of the abandoned Romanesque revival school building of the St. Martin’s College for Indigent Boys

  • 1922: Acquires the adjoining Church of the Evangelist

  • 1923: Samuel S. Fleisher is the first Jewish recipient of the prestigious Edward Bok Philadelphia Award

  • 1944: Samuel Fleisher dies, leaving his estate in trust to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and it is renamed the Samuel S. Fleisher Art Memorial

  • 1946: Fleisher starts summer program

  • 1978: Start of Challenge Exhibition Series, now known as the Wind Challenge

  • 1982: Fleisher is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

  • 1982: Installation of Siah Armajani’s Kahn Lecture Room

  • 1983: Becomes independent 501(c)3 nonprofit

  • 1990: Fleisher establishes the Founder’s Award in honor of Samuel Fleisher’s vision

  • 2000: Acquires Works on Paper Building

  • 2002: First Print Love-In, in collaboration of with Prints for Progress

  • 2004: First Dear Fleisher 4×6 Works of Art Event

  • 2005: Fleisher completes renovations to update and connect buildings

  • 2012: Launches ColorWheels